• Q: How long have you been in love with fishing?
• A: 40 years. I fell in love with fishing Jumpinpin for flathead
• Q: What style of fishing are you most passionate about now?
• A: Jigging for huge amberjack and for snapper, as well as casting lures for longtail tuna.
• Q: What catch are you most proud of?
• A: An amberjack of over 50kg jigged and released off Fraser. And a GT over 30kg caught at Marion Reef.
• Q: Favourite Species to fish for?
• A: If I’m bait fishing – float-lining for snapper – I love that first run, line peeling off the reel. If jigging – amberjack. They are a real challenge. You have only seconds to win/lose the fight. A real adrenalin rush!!
• Q: What is your favourite location?
• A: Marion Reef. The GT, dogtooth tuna and coral trout that we caught there were what dreams are made of.
I can never remember a time when I didn’t fish, dad always found the time to take the family fishing. These days I mostly fish with lures and although I’m still crazy about all types of jigging, if I had to do one thing it would probably be casting lures for surface feeding fish. Back in the day I can remember having rods made from cane and even one crafted from a steel tank aerial. Old reels too, models from the past like Roddy and Seascape spring to mind, but now days if I was stuck with one outfit, it would have to be a nice ten kilo spin outfit and a box of stickbaits to suit. There are plenty of cool fish to chase and exotic places to go for this type of fishing, but I always find it hard to go past a tuna bust up and while this could be happening somewhere remote like the Coral Sea, the diversity of fish and close proximity of Hervey Bay, will have to do until another long range trip comes around.
• Q: What are your favourite fish species to target?
• A: Chasing jewfish and salmon in the heart of Brisbane is one of my favourite pastimes. A close second is Australian bass.
• Q: If you had to choose only one outfit to fish with, what would it be?
• A: It would have to be a fast action 2 – 5 kg spin rod paired with a 2500 size reel.
• Q: Your most memorable times on the water?
• A: Out in the local dams, with mates, chasing bass and carrying on, are my fondest memories on the water.
• Q: If you could only have one lure in your tackle box, what would it be?
• A: A 4” Zman Paddletail. Can’t beat them if you ask me!
Q: How long have you been in love with fishing?
A: Dad took me on my first whiting session when I was 4 years old and I’ve never looked back.
Q: If you could only have one lure in your tackle box, what would it be?
A: That’s a hard call, probably an X-Rap long-cast Shallow – their castability is unreal and they sink quick enough to twitch them across shallow reefs.
Q: Your most memorable times fishing?
A: There’s tons of fishing experiences I’ll never forget, but I’d have to say fishing for Jewies in the deep gutters off the beach with my family. The challenge and fear when you’re wading out chest deep in strong swell is only trumped by the satisfaction of landing one.
Q: What style of fishing are you most passionate about now?
A: I like fish that run so at the moment I’m really getting stuck into Slide-baiting for landbased tuna, mackerel and sharks that can strip hundreds of metres in minutes.
Q: What is your favourite location?
A: Fraser Island, by boat or land-based. It’s a totally unique fishery where you can fish for everything from whiting to big Spanish mackerel and giant sharks without even changing spots.